Cyber attackers and associated developers of software are “legitimate targets of military engagement.”
The following example of combatants involved in a conflict are specifically listed as constituting legitimate targets of military engagement:
- hacking of a military system of a party to armed conflict for intelligence purpose,
- directly useful in the conflict,
- installing malicious code,
- building a botnet to launch a denial of service attacks,
- developing software for the specific use in later hostile acts (cyberattacks).